|Details:||Amazon Echo for $130|
Amazon changed the price of the Amazon Echo to $130 from now through July.
Normally, it sells for $150 to $180.
Available in Black or White.
This price change is likely in response to competition (Google Home sells for $129), so this could turn into a permanent price cut since Amazon has s reputation of slashing prices in response to competition.
The Amazon Echo is a voice-operated speaker.
It can play music, make calls, give sports scores and weather, make shopping lists, check flight status, and order an Uber pickup.
The Echo can link to home-automation devices in your home, providing voice-control to those devices.
For example, if you have:
How does the Amazon Echo compare to Google Home?
A CNet article goes into details, but here is our take:
- Philips Hue Smart Light Bulbs and Lamps, you can turn on/off Hue lights with your voice.
- Belkin Wemo Smart Power Outlets, you can turn on/off appliances with your voice.
- Plum Lightpad Wifi Light Switches, you can turn on/off those light switches in your home with your voice.
For example, say, "Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights" when without finding the light switch when carrying groceries into your home.
- If you got the Honeywell Wifi Thermostat deal for $125 through Ebay last month, the Alexa can control your home temperature with your voice.
- Control any other current or future home automation device that supports Echo.
Same-day pickup of the Amazon Echo is available from
Best Buy, Staples, and
Google Home is also available at those stores for the same price, if you choose to compare.
- If you already have Chromecast built-in to your TV or a Google Chromecast device, Google Home can use your voice to play music and videos on your TV.
- If you want better access to the web, including personalized daily briefing of news, events, traffic, and your calendar, Google Home may work better for you.
- If you have a Honeywell Wifi thermostat, an Insteon home automation hub, or home automation device with Echo (but not Google Home) support, the Amazon Echo may be a better choice.
Amazon Echo currently has better home automation support than Google Home.
- Amazon Echo plays music through Amazon Prime Music, a service included with Amazon Prime.
If you have Prime, the Echo can play unlimited commercial-free music in your home.
Google Home plays music through Google Play Music and YouTube Music (free with ads, or ad-free with YouTube Red).
Both can also play music through Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, and others.